Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid yesterday warned that actions would be taken against the officials responsible for the errors in the school textbooks. "The education ministry has already formed a probe committee over the errors and two NCTB officials have been made OSDs over the mistakes following primary investigation," said the minister at a press briefing at the Secretariat. Nahid also said that other officials, who are responsible for the mistakes, would not be spared. He also noted that it is 'insufficient time' for printing the textbooks which might be a reason for the errors.
"Following the report of probe committee, we will try to correct the big mistakes," he added. Nahid requested the media not to discourage students or spoil their happiness of getting new textbooks by highlighting the mistakes. Nahid also said that they would be more careful while printing and editing textbooks in future. Earlier on Monday, the education ministry made two officials, Pritish Kumar Sarkar, chief editor of the National Curriculum and Textbook Board (NCTB) and senior expert Lana Humaira Khan of NCTB, on special duty (OSD) over the errors.
Meanwhile, the ministry also formed a three-member probe committee on Monday, headed by its Additional Secretary Ruhi Rahman, to investigate the matter and the committee has been asked to submit its report within seven working days. The government distributed nearly 36,21,82,285 textbooks among about 4.25 crore students between pre-primary and secondary levels for the 2017 academic session across the country.
After the textbook festival day, numerous spelling and printing mistakes in the textbooks was exposed. In 2010, the government began distributing free textbooks among students of secondary schools. Free distribution of textbooks among the primary school students began in 1981.