* Always eat breakfast : Studies show that individuals who eat a substantial breakfast lose more weight than those who have a small breakfast. Choose eggs or baked beans on wholegrain bread, or muesli with fruit and yogurt.
* Eat your fruit and veg: Aim for three cups of vegetables and two fruits each day. Fill half your plate with vegies at lunch and dinner, and add fruit to your breakfast and for a snack on the way home from work.
* Take time to shop each week: If the food is not in the house, how can you eat well? Schedule in time to shop each week or shop online.
* Walk for 10,000 steps or exercise for an hour each day: A pedometer is extremely useful in providing feedback on how many steps you are racking up each and every day.
* Sit down at the table to eat: Not only do you eat more slowly and often less food, but you'll enjoy the social experience of dining.
* Always carry a protein-rich snack with you: This way you'll avoid eating high-fat food on the run. Great options to keep handy include nut- or protein-based snack bars, hard fruit such as an apple or a few wholegrain rice.
* Have a green tea after meals: Green tea is high in antioxidants and can help increase metabolic rate.
* Always carry a water bottle: Drink at least two bottles of water a day instead of juice, cordial or soft drinks.
* Choose wholegrain, low-GI bread and breakfast cereal: Aim for the best-quality breads, crackers and breakfast cereals, as these are foods we eat every day.
* Always eat carbohydrates and proteins together: Try eggs on grain toast, yogurt and fruit, crackers and cheese and wholegrain bread with tuna or chicken.The writer is a dietitian and contributor at www.bodyandsoul.com.au