* 1 cup gahat/kulath/horse gram dal v 4-5 cloves of garlic v 1/2-inch piece of ginger v 3-4 green chillies v 1 tsp jakhiya or take 1 tsp cumin seeds v 1/2 tsp dry coriander powder v 1/4 tsp turmeric powder v 3 cups water v salt, to taste v 1/2 cup mustard oil
* Soak gahat dal in water, overnight and if using arhad/horse gram dal then, soak for one to two hours.
* In the morning, wash and rub the dal in running water so that it is free of seed covering.
* Grind it into a dry thick paste along with green chilies, garlic and ginger.
* Place a skillet on moderate flame and put some oil in it and make thick pancakes of the dal paste.
* Use only half of the paste for making the cakes.
* Mix water with remaining paste making it of pouring consistency.
* Heat oil in a deep pan or wok and add jakhiya seeds.
* Then add gahat paste, turmeric powder, dry coriander powder and salt.
* Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on slow fire.
* Add the gahat cakes to the gravy and continue simmering it for another 10 minutes.
* The gravy should have pouring consistency.
* If thick add some more water and heat till it boils.
* Garnish with pure ghee and chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.