Published:  12:00 AM, 19 March 2017

Federer to face Sock after ailing Kyrgios withdraws


Roger Federer reached the 10th Indian Wells Masters semi-final of his career by walkover on Friday as Australian Nick Kyrgios withdrew from their highly anticipated quarter-final with food poisoning.

Federer, a four-time champion in the California desert, will take on 17th-seeded American Jack Sock, who toppled fourth-seeded Kei Nishikori of Japan 6-3, 2-6, 6-2. "Unfortunately I am unable to play today due to sickness," Kyrgios said on Twitter. "At this stage we think it's food poisoning, and I'm praying it's nothing more."

Kyrgios had been due to face Federer after knocking out Novak Djokovic in the last 16 on Wednesday. The Australian's illness is a cruel twist of fate for the talented 21-year-old, who has shown signs of finally starting to deliver on his promise in recent weeks after a young career marked by controversy.

His stylish win over Djokovic was the second time in as many weeks he had beaten the former world number one after also defeating the Serb in Acapulco. In his statement on Friday, the world number 16 said he had taken the decision to pull out in California with a heavy heart.

"After a restless night of being sick I have nothing left and to play a great champion like Roger I need to be at my best to have a chance," Kyrgios said. Federer, meanwhile, tweeted his support to the Australian youngster. Federer's 18th Grand Slam title in January came after a frustrating 2016 campaign marred by injury.

-AFP, Indian Wells


Leave Your Comments



Latest News


More From Sports

Go to Home Page »

Site Index The Asian Age