Published:  12:37 AM, 14 September 2017

Duterte refuses call to probe his bank accounts


The Philippine president refused a demand by his most vocal critic to publicly release details of his bank accounts to disprove allegations that he had large sums of undeclared money.

President Rodrigo Duterte said in a news conference Wednesday that if opposition Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV wanted "to get evidence, do not get it from my mouth. You must be stupid ... Why would I give you the pleasure?"

Trillanes first alleged Duterte had unexplained wealth during the presidential campaign last year. In February, he publicly raised the issue again because he said Duterte had not yet revealed details of the more than 2 billion pesos ($39 million) he allegedly kept in bank accounts as a former city mayor. Duterte inadvertently brought the issue back to public focus recently.

-AP, Manila


Leave Your Comments



Latest News


More From Asia

Go to Home Page »

Site Index The Asian Age