Liberation War Affairs Minister AKM Mozammel Haque yesterday said, there is no scope to abolish the existing 30 percent 'Freedom Fighter Quota' as there is an obligation to uphold court decision for keeping the 'Freedom Fighter Quota' in the civil services. If the quota is abolished without permission of court, it will be treated as humiliation of court.
The minister made the remarks while briefing at a press conference at the secretariat yesterday. He said: "There is nothing to worry about the Freedom Fighters, their families and wards, even those, who believe and cherish the spirit of the Liberation War in their minds."
About 56 percent government jobs have been remained preserved for the candidates of different quotas, while rest 44 percent have been remained sanctioned for those, who will be selected from merit list.
This provision has been continuing since after the liberation war in 1971, sources said. Sources said that 30 percent out of 56 percent quota have been kept preserved for Freedom Fighters' children and grandchildren, 10 percent for women, 10 percent for people of districts lagging behind, five percent for members of indigenous communities, and one percent for physically-challenged people.
Students of different public universities and jobseekers had been demanding reform of this quota system in the civil service for long. In February, the students and jobseekers under the banner of "Bangladesh Sadharan
Chhatra Adhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad" started the movement demanding reduction of quota's percentage to 10 from existing 56 percent.
Based on their demand, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in a parliament session on April 11, assured to abolish all types of quotas for the public jobs. But, the demonstrators went on fresh movement again to realize their demand as no gazette notification has yet been issued in this regard as per the pledge of the premier.
At one stage, the demonstrations spread elsewhere of the country, while the demonstrators came under attack by the BCL activists at DU and RU campuses.
On July 2, the government formed a seven-member committee to take necessary initiatives in this regard throughout an analysis. The committee held its first meeting on Sunday last to ascertain the work policy.
Earlier on January, a student of Dhaka University and two journalists filed a writ petition with the High Court seeking reevaluation of quota system in the public services. On March 5, the high court dismissed the plea putting the quota system effective like the previous period.
Quoting the High Court verdict, the minister said, despite a provision to recruit people in the public services on the base of merit although the Freedom Fighters' quota is not filled up; there is still an obligation to keep the 30 percent Freedom Fighters' quota in the public jobs. So, there is no scope to violate the court's order, he added.
He further said: "If someone has a problem with the court order, he should go to court as there is an option to file review petition seeking reform or change or cancellation of the quota. But, there is no obligation for any other type of quotas except Freedom Fighters' quota, he claimed.
Leave Your Comments