* 3 tbsp. canola oil
* 1 tsp. cumin seeds
* 1 large red onion, 1/3 minced, 1/3 thinly sliced
* 1/2 cup chana dal (yellow split peas), rinsed, soaked 30 minutes, and drained
* 1/3 cup roughly chopped mint
* 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
* 2 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
* 2 small green Thai chiles or 1 serrano, minced
* 1 (2") piece ginger, peeled, 1/2 mashed into a paste, 1?2 minced
* Kosher salt, to taste
* 2 lb. ground beef
* 1/2 cup minced cilantro
* 1 tbsp. garam masala
* 1 tsp. red chile powder, such as cayenne
* 1/2 cup ghee
* Lime wedges, for serving
Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high. Cook cumin seeds and half the minced onion until golden, 6-8 minutes. Add dal, mint, turmeric, garlic, chiles, ginger paste, salt, and 1½ cups water; boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until dal is mushy and mixture is slightly dry, about 1 hour. Let cool and transfer to a food processor. Add beef, half the cilantro, the garam masala, chile powder, and salt; purée into a thick paste.
Stir remaining minced onion and cilantro with minced ginger in a bowl. Using wet hands, divide beef mixture into twenty-eight 1½ oz. balls. Working with 1 ball at a time, press index finger into center to create a pocket. Place ½ tsp. onion mixture inside; pinch edges to seal.
Roll into a ball; flatten into a patty. Melt ? cup ghee in a 12? skillet over medium-high. Working in batches and adding more ghee as needed, cook patties, flipping once, until cooked through and crisp, 4-6 minutes; serve with sliced onion and lime wedges.
Leave Your Comments