Published:  02:57 PM, 07 October 2018 Last Update: 03:00 PM, 07 October 2018

5000 missing in two hit-hard Indonesian quake zone: Official

5000 missing in two hit-hard Indonesian quake zone: Official
As many as 5,000 people are believed missing from two hard-hit areas in Palu more than a week after the Indonesian city was devastated by an earthquake and tsunami, an official said Sunday.

Indonesia’s disaster agency said the figure was based on estimates from local heads in the Petobo and Balaroa areas of the city, where entire neighborhoods disappeared in the twin disaster on Sulawesi island that has seen 1,763 bodies recovered so far.

“Based on reports from the heads of Balaroa and Petobo, there are about 5,000 people who have not been found,” agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told reporters Sunday, adding that it was difficult to know the exact figure given the areas were largely buried under mountains of mud and wreckage.

Leave Your Comments



Latest News


More From Asia

Go to Home Page »

Site Index The Asian Age