* 1 lb./500 gm baby potatoes
* 1 tablespoon mustard oil
* 1 teaspoon Indian Five Spice (paanch phoron)
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 bay leaf
* ½ teaspoon sugar
* 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon grated ginger
* ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
* 1 teaspoon coriander powder
* ½ teaspoon cumin powder
* ½ teaspoon chili powder
* ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* finely chopped cilantro for garnish
* Boil the baby potatoes with lots of salt and then peel the skin off. Keep it aside.
* Place a heavy bottom saucepan at medium heat and drizzle the mustard oil. When the oil heats up, drop the paanch phoron, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and sugar.
Give it a couple of seconds for the spices to sizzle and the sugar to caramelize. Then, scatter the onion, ginger and sprinkle the salt. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
* Add tomato paste, stir and cook for 3 minutes.
* Take a bowl and add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and chili powder along with 2 tablespoons of water. Give it a mix and pour it to the pan. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until you see the oil being released from the corner of the pan.
* Drop the boiled potatoes and stir to coat the spice mix evenly. Cook for 2 minutes and pour enough water to dunk the potatoes. Crank up the heat on the stove and bring the water to a boil.
Then, lower the heat to medium and let it simmer 5 minutes. Sprinkle garam masala powder and let it cook for 3 more minutes. Check for salt at this point and add any, if required.
Leave Your Comments