Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there, we see your dad dancing and hear your awful jokes and we love you for it.
The relationship between a person and their dad is very special, quite often your dad will be the best person to turn to for advice on life, love, fashion, and of course the one trusted source of a guaranteed lift.
If you're lucky enough to class your dad is your special friend, you know that he has taught you so much, has always been there for you, and ensured above all to always keep you safe.
1. The Jokes: They are terrible, you roll your eyes at every single punch line, but secretly you love hearing them. You will always pretend how awful they are, but really they cheer you up every time.
2. Fixes everything: It doesn't matter if you have a broken car, a dodgy watch strap, smashed sunglasses or a dodgy bicycle, he somehow can magically fix it all. He will whisk it away, and bring it back all shiny and new.
3. All those lifts: If there is one thing you can always rely upon him for it is a lift. It doesn't matter if it is 2am on Christmas Eve and you need picking up from the pub, he always be there in the car, waiting with the heating on.
4. Taught you a lot: Some of the most important things in life have been passed onto you by your dad. How to tie a tie, the appropriate ratio of gravy to potatoes, and also how to wear the same jumper every single weekend and turn it into a style choice, as opposed to sheer laziness.
5. The dancing: He's not your best friend because he is a great dancer, in fact, the quite opposite. His dancing is so awful and awkward, that you strategically position yourself next to him on the dance floor because he makes you look fantastic.
6. He is always interested: No matter how little is going on in your life, he is always interested and wants to know every single detail. Even if all you have done that week is take long naps and catch up on Netflix, he will want to know it all.
7. And offers great advice: When the world seems like a big and scary place and you are faced with difficult situations he will always be on hand to make you realize that it is not as bad as it seems.
8. Teaches you shortcuts: Shortcuts to places, shortcuts when it comes to cooking, DIY shortcuts and so on. He is the original life hack guru. 9. Always looked after you Yes his dinner time speciality may have been beans on toast, or a Pot Noodle, but at least he tried, and always tried to stop you from being hungry.
10. Teases you: Sometimes the teasing is borderline mockery, but you don't mind because it's not coming from a bad place. He will tease your glasses, your choice of holiday, your new backpack and even the socks you are wearing. Nothing is sacred.
11. Tells it straight: Whereas your mum is quite tactile in what she says, your dad has no filter whatsoever. If you've got a bad haircut, he will be sure to tell you, and poke fun at you until it grows out.
12. Style icon: You've actually seen photos of your dad in his hey day, before he was consumed by all the beige and navy that M&S has to offer, and he was quite the stylish go getter. Of course you would never tell him that, but you do listen for any style tips he throws your way.
13. Real life sat nav: Not only does he know every single route possible to all destinations, but he knows the route that will get you there in the quickest time possible. Special talent right there.
14. His airport etiquette When it comes to going to the airport he is a firm believer of the earlier the better, and one of your favourite things to witness is his near meltdown when he realises you may not get there at least five hours before your flight. Pure comedy.
15. Personal bodyguard: He doesn't let anyone mess with you, and even your friends are a little afraid of him. When you were younger it was always tricky to convince anyone to come over, but now you understand he just wanted to keep you safe.
The writer is a freelancer
Leave Your Comments