Published:  03:55 AM, 13 September 2019 Last Update: 03:59 AM, 13 September 2019

EC building fire causes nearly BDT 40mn loss

EC building fire causes nearly BDT 40mn loss Valuable materials including EVMs were damaged in a fire occurred in the basement of the EC headquarters in city's Agargaon on Sunday night.

The inquiry committee which was set up to look into the recent fire outbreak in the Election Commission (EC) building in the capital has identified electric short circuit as the main reason behind the mishap. According to the inquiry committee, a monetary loss of nearly 40 million taka has been incurred by this accident.

Mokhlesur Rahman, Additional Secretary of Election Commission is the head of the inquiry committee. He handed over the inquiry report to EC Secretary Mohammad Alamgir on Thursday afternoon. Later on Mokhlesur Rahman spoke to journalists. He stated that the fire originated from electric short circuit while a loss of 3 crore 77 lakh 21 thousand 169 taka was generated by the fire outbreak.

Fire broke out in the basement of the twelve-storied EC building in the capital's Agargaon on Sunday night. Afterwards an inquiry committee was constituted to investigate the occurrence. The inquiry committee was  asked to submit their report within three working days. At least two dozen instruments of electronic voting machines (EVM), four air conditioners, some cables and documents were burnt by the fire.

Mokhlesur Rahman told reporters that the members of the inquiry committee inspected the spot several times where the fire broke out. They also spoke to the officials of Fire Service while preparing the inquiry report. Moreover, they examined  the video clips of close circuit television too.

Mokhlesur Rahman said that the fire was sparked from the place where electronic voting machines are customized. Fire broke out at 10: 20 pm at night while smoke was seen on the CCTV video clip at around 10: 50 pm.

According to the inquiry committee, 59 EVM control units, 47 batteries, 789 ballots, 1233 monitors, 557 sets of cables, 64 monitor batteries, one laptop and two barcode scanners were damaged by the fire. Among other things 48 ceiling lines, one projector, 16 chairs, three tables, one clock, 14 switch boards, 9 plugs, 2 thousand feet wiring channels and 50 pieces of floor tiles were damaged too.

The inquiry committee has suggested that portable fire extinguishers and automatic fire extinguishing systems should be installed in all rooms of the Election Commission building. Besides, the electric lines and fire fighting systems should be examined by Fire Service every six months according to the inquiry committee.


Leave Your Comments



Latest News


More From Frontpage

Go to Home Page »

Site Index The Asian Age