Published:  02:55 AM, 13 October 2019

BUET students call off protest

BUET students call off protest Students briefing the media on Saturday over Abrar killing. -AA

The authorities of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) on Saturday issued notices accepting the students' demands, prompting the demonstrators to call off their protest for now.

In five notices, signed by acting Registrar Dr Md Saidur Rahman, BUET announced a ban on organizational politics, drive against illegal occupants at residential halls and seal off offices of student organizations on the campus, reports UNB. The university also announced introducing a web portal where students can file complaints about ragging.

BUET authorities said students accused in Abrar Fahad's murder will be permanently expelled once the charge sheet is submitted.

They also promised to bear expenses of legal proceedings of Abrar murder case and bring every floor of the dormitories under round-the-clock CCTV monitoring.

The announcements, accepting the students' five-point demands, prompted the protesters to suspend their demonstration around 2:45pm.

"We'll resume protest if our demands are not implemented by October 14," one of the students said, declining to be named. The killing of Abrar Fahad, reportedly by Bangladesh Chhatra League leaders at Sher-e-Bangla residential hall last week, triggered the protest.

On Friday afternoon, Vice-Chancellor Prof Dr Saiful Islam acceded to the demonstrators' demands and announced a ban on organizational student politics on the campus and suspended 19 students accused in Abrar killing case.But it did little to pacify the protesting students who continued demonstration until the university issued the notices on Saturday.


Leave Your Comments



Latest News


More From Frontpage

Go to Home Page »

Site Index The Asian Age