Published:  01:18 AM, 12 November 2019

Ex-PM Najib ordered to enter defense in 1MDB case

Ex-PM Najib ordered to enter defense in 1MDB case

A Malaysian judge on Monday ordered former Prime Minister Najib Razak to enter a defense at his first corruption trial linked to the multibillion-dollar looting at the 1MDB state investment fund that helped spur his shocking election ouster last year. Defense lawyers said Najib was shocked he wasn't acquitted. He will be the first defense witness to take the stand when the trial resumes Dec. 3.

High Court Judge Mohamad Nazlan Mohamad Ghazali said the prosecution had established its case on charges of abuse of power, breach of trust and money laundering. The seven charges relate to 42 million ringgit ($10.1 million) that allegedly went into Najib's bank accounts from SRC International, a former unit of the 1MDB fund. The judge said it was clear that Najib, who was also finance minister at the time, had "wielded overarching authority and power" in SRC and taken actions for "personal and private interest." He said prosecution had established an "ingredient of dishonesty" in the fund misappropriation. - AP, Malaysia


Leave Your Comments



Latest News


More From News A to Z

Go to Home Page »

Site Index The Asian Age