Livestock is playing an important and inevitable role in economic development throughout the world. Bangladesh is an agricultural-based country where livestock is considered as an integral part of its economy. Cattle are contributing the major parts in livestock populations in Bangladesh.
Currently, we have more than 25 million cattle population. However, we are not getting expected milk and meat form these huge number of cattle due to their low genetic merit.
Therefore, we introduced artificial insemination (AI) of cattle through importing semen from European breeds even the before of our independence. However, the achievements are not still satisfactory. This is because of unplanned AI practices as well as insufficient extension activities up to the farmers' doorstep. Only the AI practices cannot improve the genetic merit of our native cattle as our expectation.
Dairy developing countries are practicing multiple ovulation and embryo transfer (MOET) technology for rapid propagation of mother genetic merit. Therefore, Department of Livestock Services (DLS) took the said project early in the 2005. Due to its consecutive success, the milk and meat production in the country increased many folds. The major achievements of the project are briefly described below.
Goal of the Project: To ensure nutrition security by increasing milk and meat production in Bangladesh.
Objectives of the Project:
a) To extend modern artificial insemination activities at farmers' doorstep by establishing Union AI points.
b) To increase semen production in order to cope up with increased demand.
c) To improve genetics of the non-descriptive native cattle in Bangladesh.
d) To reduce protein scarcity in food by increasing milk and meat production.
e) To demonstrate total mixed ration (TMR) to farmers for in order to provide balanced nutrition to cattle for getting maximum performance.
f) To create self-employment by providing hands-on training on modern artificial insemination technique.
g) To adapt bovine multiple ovulation and embryo transfer (MOET) at CCBDF for rapid propagation of elite cows' genetic merit.
Achievements so far we made:
1. Country has already been declared as self-sufficient in meat production.
2. The availability of milk has been increased to 200 ml/person/day against the demand of 250 ml.
1. 900Union AI Points have been established throughout the country.
2. 900 AI Technicians (Volunteers) have been trained for efficient artificial insemination in cattle.
3. Nearly 1000 educated unemployed youths have been engaged in self-employment and income generation.
4. 2 full-fledged bull stations cum AI Labs have been established in two different geographical locations in Bangladesh.
5. 5 bull calf rearing stations cum mini AI Labs have been established in different areas of Bangladesh.
6. Semen production capacity of the 2 existing bull stations cum AI Labs has been increased.
7. Meanwhile, the semen production has been increased to 40 Lac/year whereas it was only 15 Lac/year before the launching of the project.
8. Sex-sorted semen from bulls with high genetic merit has been imported in order to produced nucleus herd.
9. A total mixed ration (TMR) plant is under construction for demonstrating farmers in producing balanced feed for dairy and beef cattle.
10. An embryo transfer protocol has been implemented in cows at central cattle breeding and dairy farm.
Dr. Md.Belal Hossain is Project-Director, AI & ET project . He can be reached at :firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave Your Comments