Published:  12:19 AM, 24 May 2026

UNICEF Seeks Firm and Urgent Steps to Protect Children in Bangladesh

UNICEF Seeks Firm  and Urgent Steps to Protect Children in Bangladesh
 
Strengthening preventive measures for child protection across Bangladesh has become "urgent" amid the spike in the brutal physical and sexual violence against children so far this year, states UNICEF Bangladesh Representative Rana Flowers.

"With this increase in the abuse and sexual violence against women and children so far in 2026, it is urgent to strengthen child protection and gender-based violence prevention measures across the country," she said in a statement on Saturday. "The culture of getting away with it must be brought to an end."

"Barbarity against children must stop!" she said.

Rana Flowers said, "At the same time issues of existing gaps in prevention, the filing of complaints against crimes, institutional protections, a child-friendly police and judiciary, community protection, and social services must be addressed.

"In addition to ensuring psychosocial support for women and children, transparency and accountability in schools, madrassas, workplaces, neighbourhoods and childcare centres must be further increased."

Police recovered the dismembered body of eight-year-old Ramisa from a flat in the capital's Pallabi on 19 May 2026.

Police said that 32-year-old Sohel Rana, a resident of the flat next door, slit the child's throat and severed her head from the body that morning. Sohel, who was subletting the flat, escaped by cutting out the window gille. However, his wife Swapna Akhter was at home.

Police later detained Swapna from her home and Sohel was eventually arrested from Narayanganj's Fatulla.

The incident sparked nationwide outrage and demands for justice from different quarters.

UNICEF has now joined the call for additional preventive measures to protect children.

Rana Flowers said, "UNICEF is deeply shocked and appalled by the recent horrific incidents of violence against children in various parts of Bangladesh. These include incidents of the rapes and murders of boys and girls. They have been subjected to this violence in places where they should have been safe. UNICEF expresses its deepest condolences to all the affected families.

"Violence spreads further when silence prevails in society. UNICEF calls on children, women, families, communities and the people of society to protest against any violence or abuse. For this, if necessary, you should contact the child helpline 1098, which provides immediate support and necessary services to affected children."

She also reiterated that the dignity of women and children who are victims of abuse should be respected.

"Sharing their pictures, videos or personal information on social media is a new form of abuse. Those who share them basically increase the mental suffering of the victims and their families and show disrespect to the victims.

"UNICEF calls on the public, media and social media users to respect the rights of victims and their families and to refrain from sharing such images, videos or information. Instead, everyone must be vocal in demanding an end to impunity for perpetrators and strengthening the security of all."

Rana Flowers further said, "Every child has the right to be protected everywhere - in their own homes, schools, communities, society, and even in the media when their stories or images are presented.

Child protection is the practice of safeguarding individuals under the age of 18 from violence, exploitation, abuse, and neglect. It involves a coordinated system of laws, policies, and services across education, health, and justice sectors designed to prevent harm, strengthen families and ensure a safe environment.

According to UNICEF millions of children in Bangladesh are exposed to violence, abuse and exploitation, often by the people meant to protect them. Nine out of 10 children have suffered physical punishment or psychological aggression from caregivers, including their parents and teachers.

Many children are forced to grow up too quickly. Adolescent boys and girls are often sent to work or married off as part of their families' survival strategy. Nearly 7 per cent of children aged between 5 and 17 years old are involved in some form of child labour, and very young children continue to be employed in hazardous conditions.

>>R R Badhan, AA 




Latest News


More From Frontpage

Go to Home Page »

Site Index The Asian Age